Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Green Tea Ice Cream (lactose free/low fat!)


So I caved and bought this on Amazon. I had $30 in gift cards, so it wasn't that bad. I've been wanting one for a while because of my little problem with non-meat cow products.

It came today.

Normally I'm a clean person, but this was a nice surprise after a long day at work.

I whipped up some green tea batter(?) and poured it into the machine. What does one call ice cream before it's frozen, by the way? It's not melted ice cream because it's never been frozen yet. I'm going to stick with batter or slurry until I find a better word.

It had the texture of soft serve out of the machine (20 minutes), but I tried a bit and the flavor was awesome. It's in the freezer right now. Hard ice cream is better.

Here's the recipe:

Ingredients:
2 cups reduced fat lactaid (or milk, for you lucky people)
2 tsps matcha green tea powder
1/2-3/4 cups of sugar
2 egg yolks
1 tub of fat free cool whip

Directions:
1. Heat the milk, sugar, and green tea powder on low-medium heat until it comes to a simmer. Stir constantly.
2. Slowly add part of the milk mixture to the egg yolks in a small bowl to temper them. Then slowly add the egg mixture to the rest of the milk mixture.
3. Cook this for about a minute longer on low heat.
4. Let the mixture completely cool in the fridge.
5. Right before you want to freeze the mixture, fold in the cool whip. It doesn't have to be completely mixed. You want to get it in the freezer bowl asap.
6. Freeze according to the directions of your ice cream maker.

It made a small batch, which is why I probably need to work on quantities a bit. Next time I'll share.

Things I want to test in the future:
Honeydew ice cream
Mojito Sorbet

(yes, they are all green so far)